Overpass Light Brigade

The death of Michael Brown is a tragedy. Numerous high-charged and debatable topics now re-surface – racism, gun rights, police profiling and brutality. The death sparks emotion with everyone. In midst of the emotion, Black Men’s Dossier presents the latest facts.

August 9, 2014 approximately 12:00 P.M.

Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson, 28 approaches Michael Brown,18, and Dorian Johnson, 22, while the two were walking in the middle of the street. Officer Darren Wilson, orders the men to get out of the street. Witnesses state a dispute and struggle occurs. Officer Wilson pulls his weapon on the men, and  a gun shot fires while the officer is still in his car.

Both men run away from the officer. Local witnesses state that Officer Wilson continues to open fire towards Michael Brown.

Brown is shot from behind. Numerous witnesses state an unarmed Brown turns around. Brown lifts his hands to surrender, and officer Wilson fires on Brown multiple times. As the officer gets closer, he shoots Brown in the head. 

In the middle of the street, Brown lays dead for approximately four hours.

The community witnesses the event and become outraged

August 10, 2014

A candlelight vigil to honor Brown is held but later that evening some attendees begin to protest and riot.

August 11, 2014

FBI states a federal investigation into the shooting of Brown is underway for possible civil rights violations.

Protesters carried signs saying "Hands up don't shoot" "Justice for Mike Brown" seeking answers because no information was being released from Ferguson police department.

Protesters marching for Justice in the city of Ferguson

Ferguson police show up in full body armor, tanks, and pointing their sniper rifles on the crowd. 

St. Louis County police and armored vehicles backed by SWAT units.

Ferguson police used rubber bullet and tear gas on protesters and media covering the protest.  A select group of individuals broke in some of the local business and began to loot.

Pastor Renita Lamkin was shot with a rubber bullet

The following days resemble a war zone in Ferguson due to the police and looters.

August 12, 2014

President Obama releases a statement regarding the passing of Michael Brown, and announces the Department of Justice is investigating the case and urges people to stay peaceful.

Peaceful protest continue, but after the sun sets things become unruly. Ferguson police use tear gas to disperse crowds. Protesters and media were arrested.

August 14, 2014

President Obama addresses the nation and urges calmness in Ferguson, and asks local police to be "open and transparent" about their investigation and to see that justice is done.

Missouri’s governor calls in their Highway Patrol Capt. Ron Johnson to restore order in the Ferguson community.

Ron Johnson immediately orders officers to ditch the armor and put away the tear gas. Johnson joins the peaceful protest, and Ferguson gets through a night without violence. 

August 15, 2015

St. Louis County Police Chief Jon Belmar releases the name of the shooting officer Darren Wilson along with releasing photos and video of Michael Brown allegedly stealing cigars from a corner store. The video shows Brown in a in a confrontation with the man behind the cash register. 

The release of photos and video showing Michael Brown in an unflattering matter outraged the community because the Chief did admit, Darren Wilson had no knowledge of Brown being a suspect in a crime prior to approaching him.

August 16, 2014 

Governor Nixon issues a state of emergency for the Ferguson area and imposes a curfew.

August 17, 2014

Brown's family releases preliminary autopsy results showing Brown was shot at least 6 times, including twice in the head.

Attorney General Eric Holder announced that the federal medical examiner will perform an independent autopsy 

August 18, 2014

Governor Nixon orders the National Guard into Ferguson to settle civil unrest.

Attorneys for Michael Brown’s family and the forensic scientists who conducted the autopsy speak about their preliminary findings in a press conference. Shawn Parcells, pathologist assistant states the gunshot wounds appear to be from the front, but they cannot rule out other angles from the back that would be consistent to witness statements.  

Michael Brown’s Autopsy

A statement from a friend of Darren Wilson surfaces stating Wilson claims Brown punched him in the face and reached for his weapon.  When Brown turned around, he began taunting Wilson, saying he would not arrest him. Then ran towards the officer charging at him. 

Gov. Nixon lifts the curfew that had been in effect for two days.

August 19, 2014

Gov. Nixon release another statement on the events in Ferguson, Mo justice and meeting with Michael Brown's mother.

After a week, the  Ferguson community ask for answers. No charges filed. No detailed police report.

Protesters arrest continue. Rocks and bottles are thrown at police, and buildings are set on fire. The different tatics to keep peace used by community leaders, law enforment and government authority doesnt seem to be fully working.

August 20, 2014

U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder arrives in Ferguson for briefings on the Justice Department's ongoing investigation into possible civil rights violations.

A grand jury begins investigating whether Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson should be criminally charged for the death of Michael Brown.

This was the most peaceful night, with minimal arrest since the fatal shooting of unarmed Michael Brown.  

August 21, 2014

After a night of less tension Gov. Jay Nixon ordered the Missouri National Guard to begin withdrawing from the city.